Weekend Video Diversion: $10 Bets

November 28, 2009

Back in the early 2000’s, one of my favorite television shows was NBC’s Ed, which was about a recently divorced lawyer (played by Tom Cavanagh), who leaves the big city of New York for the small town of Stuckeyville.  Once there, he buys a bowling alley and establishes a law practice.  Each episode dealt with a case that Ed took on and many episodes featured a whimsical $10 bet between Ed and his best friend Mike.  Here’s an example:

It’s a crime that this show isn’t on DVD, but I know this has to do with music licensing issues since the episodes featured some great musical performances interwoven into the storyline.  Besides Cavanagh, the show featured many notable actors in their first major roles including Julie Bowen, Micheal Ian Black, Justin Long and Ginnifer Goodwin.  I also seem to recall a website inspired by these $10 bets, which I could not find for this post.  For more on Ed, click the Ed Wikipedia page.  Have a great weekend!

1 Lori November 28, 2009 at 6:47 pm

That was funny! I had heard of the series but have never seen any of the episodes. Yeah, bummer it’s not on DVD. I’m a sucker for a great series.

Speaking of that, have you seen the series Dexter? Thanks for video diversion and for pointing this out, Tim. I hope you had a great holiday break.

Cheers!

2 Lance November 28, 2009 at 7:37 pm

I never did watch this show…and wow!! I missed some funny stuff! That was great! I loved the “letoos”!!!

3 Marissa November 28, 2009 at 9:58 pm

The $10 bets! I’m ashamed to say I’d forgotten about them until you posted this. I looked forward to each episode of Ed because I just liked the show, but also because I loved seeing the $10 bets.

I used to have a matchbook from Ed’s bowling alley… I fear it was lost in an office move, though.

I can’t wait for them to figure out the music licensing issues so we can have this show on DVD. Or Hulu! I now have an intense craving for some Ed episodes.
.-= Marissa´s last post…The Grateful-Fors: 50 things I’m grateful for today =-.

4 Tim November 29, 2009 at 8:37 am

Hi Lori: I’m glad you enjoyed the clip…those $10 bets were one of my favorite parts of the show. I hope you get to watch this either on cable or DVD soon…actually Gilmore Girls reminds me of this show in terms of the small town charm and interesting characters within the town. Oh, I’ve caught the first two episodes of Dexter and really liked it. I’ve got to find those episodes somewhere, because I really enjoyed what I saw.

Lance: I hope you get a chance to watch the show because it’s funny and (I mean this in a good way) quirky. My buddy and I used to talk about doing our version of the $10 bets…I think they would make things interesting. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

Marissa: I know what you mean…I really haven’t thought about Ed or these $10 bets in awhile. I was curious if there would be anyone else out there who watched the show and I’m glad you showed up! Sorry to hear about the matchbook. I know I still have my Ed coffee mug and bowling alley lawyer t-shirt somewhere. You are right about craving these episodes…I really miss the show. Take care and have a great weekend!

5 Nadia - Happy Lotus November 29, 2009 at 10:48 am

I love this clip…letoos….my husband and I were cracking up. Thank you for the laughter.

I used to love this show. It struck close to home on so many levels. It is a shame it is not out on DVD. They did the same thing with “Ally McBeal” but finally after so many years of waiting, the whole series is out in America. Hopefully, the same will happen with “Ed”.

6 Tim November 29, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Hi Nadia: I glad you enjoyed the clip and good to hear that you watched the show. I thought of you and your background as I posted this…I think it was great how the character of Ed Stevens used his law background to help out people in town and run a very fun bowling alley. Very cool…I hope this comes out soon on DVD. Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!

7 Jason of Kim & Jason November 30, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Oh man I LOVED Ed. That was possbly the greatest show ever. (That, and Arrested Development.) Why do the good ones always get cancelled so quickly?
.-= Jason of Kim & Jason´s last post…What You Can Learn About Treating Adultitis from Bert and Ernie =-.

8 Megan "JoyGirl!" Bord December 1, 2009 at 6:26 am

Okay, so now I want to know how it ended! Did he win the bet?
I only watched a couple episodes of that show when it was on, and now I MUST watch the whole thing. But alas, as you pointed out, it’s not on DVD. Damnit Janet!

I’m not a big TV junkie, but am definitely a show snob. Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Scrubs (early years – not past season 5)… and it looks like this would fit nicely with my snobbish standards. Thanks for the lighthearted post!

9 Tim December 1, 2009 at 11:08 am

Hi Jason: Glad to know you’re a huge Ed fan. I know what you mean about good shows being canceled…I’ve had many shows that disappeared. I never saw Arrested Development, but have good things about it.

Hi Megan: I bet they cut the part out where Ed handed Mike the $10. I really miss that show and felt like I could identify with the 30-something characters. I don’t blame you for being picky about the shows you watch. I try not to watch too much TV, but I’ll always gravitate toward good writing, humor and strong characters (sorry reality TV, I’m just not that into you).