Character

December 2, 2009

untitled

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet.  Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired and success achieved.

— Helen Keller

1 Lori December 2, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Well, Tim, you’ve done it again! I love the image and quote you’ve chosen.

And, if trial and suffering are what’s required for soul strengthening, inspiration, and success – I should be pretty far along. (ha) Nah, seriously, I have a lot to learn, but at least I’m to the point where I welcome trials and discomfort – I know there’ll always be something good to come out of it.

Thanks for your post today, Tim!
Keep rockin’ the free world.

2 Tim December 2, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Hi Lori: Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I stumbled upon this quote about a year ago and it really stuck with me. I think we, as humans, need to rethink suffering and even failure in some areas of our lives. Based on your comment, it sounds like you’re on your way to this. I’m slowly learning from the adversity that life presents to me, as well. Oh, I also like the phrase, “what doesn’t kill me makes me stronger.” Thanks for your support here and I hope you have a great day!

3 Megan "JoyGirl!" Bord December 2, 2009 at 8:24 pm

This has certainly been my experience. While I enjoy those peaceful, joy-filled times in life, nothing hastens spiritual awakening like conflict and challenges! Oye!
And you know, whenever I remember all that Helen Keller had to overcome and what a tremendous woman she became, it gives me pause. Thanks for sharing one of her quotes with us.

4 Lance December 3, 2009 at 3:59 am

Yep, it’s those moments when I’ve been really challenged in some way I’ve looked and acted from a spot deep within. Sometimes it’s my choosing that gets me there to that spot, and sometimes it some outside force. In either case, in these moments – that’s when real and meaningful success has come about…

5 Tim December 3, 2009 at 7:53 am

Hi Megan: Well said…you are right about spiritual awakening. You’re comment reminds me that I need to go back and take a closer look at Helen Keller’s life. Thanks for stopping by and commenting…have a great day!

Hi Lance: Great comment. It is amazing how sometimes we get to where we need to be through those outside forces. Thanks again for stopping by and I hope all is well with you!

6 Nadia - Happy Lotus December 4, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Awesome quote and you picked such a perfect picture to go with it. Helen Keller was right on. We do learn the most from suffering and pain.

Hope all is well and happy Friday to you! :)

7 Tim December 5, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Hi Nadia: Thank you for the good words…I hope you have a great weekend!