Weekend Video Diversion: Ken Nordine

December 5, 2009

Chances are, you’ve heard Ken Nordine’s voice in your life.  Nordine, a Chicago native, started his voiceover career back in the old time radio days.  He also created a series of Word Jazz albums in the 1950’s.  Back in the 60’s, he was hired to write and voice a series of paint commercials for the Fuller Paint company.  This project evolved into a record called Colors that featured 90 second musings on 24 different colors.  Back in the mid-90’s, a CD was released with 10 additional colors and I had the good fortune to have Nordine sign my copy at Tower Records.  The following video features Ken Nordine’s take on the color orange with animation by Jada Lewis.

Nordine’s Word Jazz radio program, can still be heard on NPR stations throughout the country.  To check out his official Word Jazz site, click here.  To learn more about Nordine, check out his Wiki page here. Enjoy your weekend!

1 Lori December 5, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Orange you glad you met me?

ha ha ha – OK, sorry, I’m in a goofy mood after watching that video! Now, I’m hungry for orange juice, orange Skittels, orange peppers, carrots, and orange Gatorade.

Orange is a happy color, and actually, I studied the chakras for quite some time and it’s interesting you host the color orange today, Tim. Orange is the connection chakra, the creativity chakra, the color that helps you manifest balance. It’s the sensation center (the abdomen), too.

You must be feeling more comfortable in your shoes and a good sense of well being in your life.
Shaka that!

Thanks for this fun video, Tim!
Enjoy your day!

2 Tim December 5, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Hi Lori: Ha ha…very funny! I’m glad the video put you in a goofy mood. I can only imagine how you’d feel if you listened to the “poem” about ecru, azure, or mauve. Thanks for sharing the information about the color orange – I did not know about that, even though I’ve read a little about the chakras…very interesting! Thanks for stopping by and commenting…have a great weekend!

3 Nadia - Happy Lotus December 6, 2009 at 11:27 am

That was cool. Lori is right about the chakra colors. Each chakra has one so that was interesting how you featured orange. I bet you never thought that this post would like to us commenting about chakras? 😉

And this post also reminds me of awesome Chicago is in terms of creative stuff. I do not miss the winters but I do miss the city.

Hope all is well.

4 Tim December 6, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Hi Nadia: It was a random choice and one of the more whimsical of the Ken Nordine poems about the colors. Ha ha…I’m glad that orange was a good choice. Hint for either you or Lori for a blog post topic, I’d be really interested to learn more about the chakras. I listened to a career CD by a guy named Rick Jarow that incorporates the chakras into work and choosing careers. That being said, I feel like I still don’t know enough about them. Anyhow, as far as the creative stuff goes, I would agree with you about the creativity here in Chicago…there seems to be a lot of it and maybe the winters have something to do about it (BTW, I hear Minneapolis has a cool, creative vibe to it…and I always consider that city as being much colder than Chicago). Have a great week!

5 Megan "JoyGirl!" Bord December 7, 2009 at 1:37 pm

How’s this for synchronicity? I was reading this post/listening to Ken talk so soothingly about “orange” while eating butternut squash. I love it!

6 Tim December 7, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Hi Megan: Ha…good to hear about synchronicity. I was about to type something like “orange you glad you stopped by?” but Lori already used that one.

{ 1 trackback }