Picking a Word for the Year

December 16, 2009

I’ve been a huge fan of blogger Christine Kane for a couple years. When I first discovered her blog, I was amazed at all of the great bits of wisdom that she dispensed.  Not only is she a talented blogger and performer (I’ve seen her live and she’s great), but she’s also a creativity consultant and success coach.

One of the things that she’s done the last couple years with her blog readers is to have them pick a word for the year. In her original post, she called it “Resolution Revolution.”  No, this is not a new year’s resolution…its more like a personal mantra.  According to her blog, this one word is a “way of setting intention for (the) whole year.”

This month, she’s featuring guest posts from her readers who chose a word for this year.  Some examples of these words include: rejoice, change, courage, confidence, gratitude, love, clarity, peace, joy, beauty and creativity.  Chances are, there’s a word out there that describes how you want to approach the new year.

This “one word” thing is brilliant because I don’t really believe in new year’s resolutions or even new year’s goals.  I’ve tried ‘em before and they are forgotten by February or early March. I also witness the onslaught of new members at my YMCA every January, only to see many of them invisible in a few months.

This year, as the new year approaches, it is my intention to choose a word for 2010. It’s a word that, I hope, will sort of guide me through the year during good times and bad.  My word: LAUGHTER.

Laughing Baby

I’ve got a confession to make:  I don’t laugh enough. I may think I do, but I know I should be laughing more. Yeah, we all have challenges and things that bring us down. But I feel committed to really LMAO in 2010 no matter what is happening in my life.  I’m not talking giggles, I’m talking big, hearty belly laughs (even though my heartiest laughs tend to be quiet).

This might mean that I have to revisit some of my favorite funny movies including Spinal Tap, Austin Powers, Airplaine!, Naked Gun, Borat and Jackass! (I know, this is really stupid, but I can’t help laughing hysterically when I see it).  I’ll likely be listening to some of my favorite comedians such as Mitch Hedberg, Bill Cosby, George Carlin, Chris Rock and Steven Wright.

I also realize that some of the funniest moments we can experience are the ones that happen right in front of us all the time.  Its a matter of having the right attitude and awareness.

So what about you, what’s your word for 2010?

Creative Commons photo courtesy of makelessnoise.

To read Christine Kane’s original post on this topic click here.

UPDATE 12/26: I just noticed that Chris Brogan mentioned that he usually selects three words for the year, which is another very cool idea similar to Christine Kane’s one word for the year.  To check out Chris’ post on this subject, including a recap of words he chose in 2008 and 2009, check out today’s post called “Wiring Yourself for Success”.  Hmm, I may need to add to my one word….

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Lance December 17, 2009 at 4:24 am

I love the concept of “one word” to focus on for the year, from Christine Kane, and did it for the first time at the start of 2009 (my word was COURAGE). And it has been really amazing how this word manifested itself in my life as the year went by. I will be doing this again, although I have not yet chosen a word for the new year. Soon…

LAUGHTER is a great choice! More laughter, no matter who we are – I see this as only a good thing! May 2010 be filled with moments of laughing – both created and experienced by you!

2 Nadia - Happy Lotus December 17, 2009 at 10:28 am

I subscribe to Christine Kane’s newsletter and I remember reading another blog post on this very subject. I think it is a great idea to pick a word to describe what you want to experience in the New Year.

I will have to email you some gag reels from the television show “Friends” that always get me in tears from laughing so much.

As for me, I am still trying to figure an exact word. The one that keeps coming to mind is “Rebirth”. I am currently in the process of looking for work and it has been such a great teacher. Actually, it has been like therapy. So hopefully the New Year will bring a job that reflects my true self.

3 Tim December 17, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Hi Lance: Thanks for sharing your word from 2009…I’m glad to hear about how it helped guide you through the year and that you’ll be doing it again in 2010. I’m looking forward to laughing more next year. Thank you for stopping by and for the good wishes – I wish you luck on your word choice!

Hi Nadia: Yeah, I’d love to see some gag reels from Friends…bring em on! I know sometimes that word has to naturally evolve, but I will say “rebirth” has a nice meaning to it and I can identify with very strongly, too. I wish you the best on finding not just an opportunity, but the right opportunity for you.

4 Lori December 17, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I think it’s simply wonderful for you to pick ‘laughter’ as your word for 2010. I am very much like you, and I also feel that laughter is my best medicine.

It’s actually quite a stimulating activity to consider choosing a word for 2010. I’ll have to think about that one and I’ll get back to you.

Thanks for introducing me to another awesome blog, to this concept, and it also help me a lot to know how to best help you, Tim. Hang on to your hat, I’m going to pour laughter into your email inbox for 2010! Now, that’s sounds like fun!

5 Tim December 17, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Hi Lori: Ha ha…I may regret saying this (j.k. I won’t regret it), but bring on the laughter! I know I didn’t say this in my post, but I think incorporating more laughter and humor will take care of a few things in my life. I know what you mean, choosing just one word isn’t easy. Good luck on your choice and let me know when you’ve made it (if you choose to share it). Have a good one!

6 Megan "JoyGirl!" Bord December 18, 2009 at 6:50 am

I like Christine’s site too, although I don’t read it as much as I used to. That idea is inspired, though: one word. It’s like intention setting, only for the whole year instead of a shorter segment of the day, for instance.

Your intention to laugh more is wonderful! A few years ago, I did the same thing. I decided I wanted to laugh more and the next thing I knew, I was attracting LAUGHERS into my life. BIG laughers, too. The kind who can be heard miles away. My GAWD, they were fun to hang out with, and almost as if to keep up, I heard my own laugh grow deeper, louder and flow more naturally from my belly.

Today, I laugh so much that anywhere I go people turn and smile when I let my laughter loose. It’s so freeing, and I wish you laughter luck and love in 2010. Don’t be surprised if you start attracting happier and laughter-loving people into your life; it’s a natural side effect, I’ve found!

7 Tim December 18, 2009 at 10:02 am

Hi Megan: Wow, thank you for sharing your awesome story here! It was so interesting to read about the profound effect that increased laughter had on you. Thank you, as well, for the good wishes. Hopefully, this laughter and amusement will have an effect on my writing, too. I wish you the best with your word of the year, if you choose one for next year. Have a great weekend!

8 Mindful Mimi December 30, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Laughter is a very good word.
I agree that we do not laugh enough. I am lucky to have two small kids – so I do get my daily dose :-)
Should you ever need to laugh, I recommend this one
it ALWAYS gets me going :-)
Happy New Year.
M
.-= Mindful Mimi´s last post…There is no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather. — John Ruskin =-.

9 Tim December 31, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Hi Mimi: Thank you for the link…I really enjoyed it and did have a good laugh. Can you believe over 100 million views of that video??!! Good to hear that your kids provide you some good entertainment and enjoyment…I enjoy hanging with my friends’ kids. Thanks for the New Year’s wishes…I hope you and your family have a great 2010!