Follow Friday: Blog-Style

January 15, 2010

Twitter has its #FF, but today I would like to share some of my favorite sites that I have not included in my blogroll as of yet.

Chris Brogan. Once upon I time, I commented on his blog. After that, he was one of the first people to connect with me on LinkedIn and invited me to follow him on Twitter long before I ever heard of it. When it comes to social media, community and building trust, Chris knows his stuff. But his recent Overnight Success series was particularly impressive to me. The series consisted of several short videos about success and all that goes into reaching it. For an example of Chris’ style and sincerity, check out his third video in the series about excuses here.

AdPulp. I’ve been a fan of this advertising-related site for a while, but I recently re-discovered how much great stuff they have. You’ll see a lot of videos of noteworthy commercials and stories about social media and marketing.  With the NFL’s “Big Game” coming up, I’m sure you’ll see additional coverage and analysis of the commercials.

Matt Cheuvront’s Life Without Pants offers his perspective on life less restricted. In a short period of time, this twentysomething blogger has gained some big momentum. An example of this is his recent post I’ll Never Go Back to School . Matt explores social media, blogging and entrepreneurial topics in a thoughtful, positive and informative manner. He also put together an impressive eBook entitled The Inconvenience of Change, in which he collaborated with 38 other bloggers on the topic of inspiring change.

I’ve been reading Jay Schryer’s blog for a while, but have been really blown away by his posts recently. He describes his blog as “the life and times of an eternal seeker” and in his bio, he indicates that he thinks too much. Based on that, and all of the music lyrics and humorous observations that he Tweets about, he is someone I picture myself hanging out with (I guess I already do in a social media kind of way).

Having been laid off a couple times from advertising jobs, I have a deep appreciation for Erik Proulx’s movie Lemonade about former advertising executives picking up the pieces after being let go. I really love the Lemonade home page which indicates, “It’s not a pink slip. It’s a blank page.”  So true. I had the privilege of watching the movie late last night after signing up on the mailing list. I must say I was moved and inspired by the stories featured in the film. Seeing it also reminded me why I was attracted to the advertising industry in the first place: people with a high level of creativity and ideas. If you are trying to pick up the pieces in your life due to a layoff or any other circumstance, you will enjoy this movie. Also check out Erik’s blog Please Feed the Animals.

So how about you…have you found any new and interesting sites that have moved you to action or awakened any truths inside of you?

Creative Commons picture courtesy of Banalities

1 Lori January 15, 2010 at 2:48 pm

You’ve listed some awesome blogs here, and I found some new friends, too, who I haven’t visited prior to today. Thanks for letting us know about them.

That Jay guy, I’ve been reading and following him for about a year – and I’m convinced that he’s actually not human but and angel sent here to help all of us. He’s quite an amazing guy and a great storyteller. Glad to see him here, too.

About advertising: I agree. I love the creativity involved in advertising; the people in that department (in previous jobs) were the craziest, most funny, and most lively of the bunch. I just loved them! I’m looking forward to checking out Erik’s blog, too.

The parting question you leave for us made me really stop and think. I’ve discovered so many interesting people via blogging, there’s just too many to mention here. But, I think you may have inspired me to do a similar post soon. There’s so much greatness in the world – yes?

Thanks, Tim, and have a great weekend!

2 Matt Cheuvront January 15, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Hi Tim – thanks much for the shout-out – an honor to be included in such esteemed company. Cheers my friend – I’ll be sure to stop by your neck of the woods more often moving forward.

3 Tim January 15, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Hi Lori: Good to learn that some of the blogs I mentioned were new to you…you’re right that there’s so much talent and so many great ideas out there. Actually it can be pretty overwhelming if you try to see everything. And you’re also right about Jay, he’s a pretty awesome storyteller. I’ve really enjoyed a lot of his Tweets lately, too. Jay is a lyrics guy, but as much as I love music, I seem to focus on chords and music a little more. I’ve laughed and learned from his many Tweets. In my mind, it has been hard for me to top the last couple posts, so this follow Friday post is the perfect transition to more good stuff next week. I look forward to reading your post that was inspired by this…and I hope you have a great weekend!

Hi Matt: I feel happy to have mentioned your site…you are someone who has caught my attention with your strong content and writing and I continue to learn some great things from you. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

4 Walter January 19, 2010 at 5:49 am

Aside from Chris Brogan and Life Without Pants, I also found “Blogging without a blog” very interesting. There a re lot of things I learn for it, from personal development to blogging tips. :-)

5 Jason @ forty2fifty.com January 19, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Cool post Tim… I’ll definitely check out the few I haven’t run across yet. That’s what I love about these types of posts, they open up a new world of blogs.

Very good Tim…

6 Tim January 20, 2010 at 9:24 am

Hi Walter: Thanks for the recommendation…I think I’ve visited Blogging w/o a Blog awhile ago and something sticks in my mind that I enjoyed what they wrote. So I will have to stop by again. Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

7 Tim January 20, 2010 at 9:30 am

Hi Jason: Thanks for stopping by…I know #FF is great for Twitter and figured I would do the same here. I tried to share those blogs that have been consistently been impressing me and there seem to be so many these days.

8 Jay Schryer August 28, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Hi Tim!

Thank you for the kind words, and for the link-love. I really appreciate it. I always enjoy your comments, and I enjoy your tweets, too. it’s an honor and pleasure to know you.

And Lori, thank you, too. As always, you’re much too kind to me, my friend.

9 Tim August 30, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Hi Jay: Thanks man, I can’t say enough good stuff about your writing and your musical tweets always stir up some interesting memories. I’m glad to see your blog back in action because I thought you blew it up a while back.