Weekend Musical Diversion: Buddy Guy

January 17, 2010

January in Chicago means that Buddy Guy plays a string of sold-out shows at his club.  I’ve seen Buddy play many shows both at his club and throughout the area and I can easily say he’s my favorite blues musician and a great showman.  Last year he released another album, Skin Deep, and it’s another classic.  This video is the title track to that album and its performed live on the David Letterman Show.  While his blues licks are among the best, his soulful singing really stands out on this version of the song.

The song also ties in with the fact that tomorrow is Martin Luther King Day.  Nothing I can say about MLK can match the brilliance of his I Have a Dream speech

1 Nadia - Happy Lotus January 17, 2010 at 11:09 am

That is such a powerful speech. I just read the full text of it this morning and wow! MLK was a man of passion and he really did make a difference in the world. I think we all have the potential to do that in our own way.

Seems like Buddy Guy is doing his part by playing music. His love for it shines through. Definitely one talented dude! :)

2 Ryhen | Mind Power January 17, 2010 at 11:09 am

Hey, Tim, this is neat! I love listening to blues music. Well, perhaps a little bit younger than Buddy Guy’s generation, but I think this is still great. Thanks for sharing. =)
.-= Ryhen | Mind Power´s last post…Do You Think You Are Special? =-.

3 Tim January 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Hi Nadia: Interestingly enough, I didn’t realize until Friday that it was the MLK holiday tomorrow (after I had chosen the video). But when you listen to the lyrics of Buddy’s song, it absolutely fits what MLK was all about. If you want to experience something even more powerful, open up two windows and listen to the Buddy Guy video while watching the MLK speech. I did this while previewing my post and I got the ol goosebumps. MLK was an amazing person who made a huge difference in the world. And you’re right about Buddy…he’s a man of passion and an amazing performer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today and have a great weekend!

Hi Ryhen: I’m with you…blues music is amazing. I hear that blues musicians are treated like royalty in other parts of the world. I wish they could experience the same here in the U.S. I’m glad you stopped by and enjoyed the video. Have a good one!

4 Megan "JoyGirl!" Bord January 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I love blues and Buddy Guy is simply awesome!

“…learned a long time ago, things ain’t always black & white… You can’t judge a book by its cover…”

Wow, this song rocks. Thank you!
.-= Megan “JoyGirl!” Bord´s last post…Redefining Success =-.

5 Tim January 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Hi Megan: I’m glad you like this tune, Buddy Guy and the blues! I’m a fan of all three and this song really speaks to me at this time. I feel blessed that Buddy is still touring and putting out new music. Thanks for stopping by and sharing and have a great week!

6 Farouk January 21, 2010 at 2:32 am

even though i am not too much info blues i still find it nice:)

7 Tim January 21, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Hi Farouk: I know what you mean, it is a great song and one of my favorites off his latest CD…thanks for stopping by and sharing!