Weekend Musical Diversion: Buckwheat Zydeco

February 14, 2010

Just in time for Fat Tuesday this week is one of my favorite blues musicians, Buckwheat Zydeco. Born Stanley “Buckwheat” Dural Jr., he’s been playing his brand of zydeco music for more than 20 years and recently won a Grammy Award for his latest CD, Lay Your Burden Down. I’ve been a fan of Mr. Zydeco since a co-worker introduced me to his music in 1988. If you like the blues, you’ll probably like this…I enjoy zydeco because it is a very happy cheerful style of blues. Here’s a Buckwheat Zydeco tune with a nice groove. Enjoy your weekend…

1 Megan "JoyGirl!" Bord February 14, 2010 at 7:20 am

Wow, that really IS happy blues! Awesome!! (I feel lighter having listened to it, and like I want to dance!)

2 Tim February 14, 2010 at 8:32 am

Hi Megan: Buckwheat’s music is amazingly fun and I’m glad you felt the happiness in the music. If you ever get a chance to see him live, do it…I know you’d have fun and be exhausted from dancing 😉 Thanks for stopping by and sharing some thoughts.

3 Ryhen | Mind Power February 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

Howdy, Tim! Sorry if I haven’t been around. Been trying to fix my distorted perspective of life recently. lol. Anyway, this video reminds me of my dad. Must be the hairdo and the mustache. Oh, did you see that funky red bass? That was smashing. haha. Thanks for sharing.

Hope you have a great week ahead!

Cheers!
.-= Ryhen | Mind Power´s last post…Buddha Power: On Suicide And The Fear Of Death =-.

4 Nadia - Happy Lotus February 14, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I love this song! Thank you so much for introducing Buckwheat! I always love to discover songs I have never heard and this one was just perfect.

It is definitely a happy blues song. Hope all is awesome! 🙂

5 Tim February 15, 2010 at 7:40 am

Hi Ryhen: It’s cool to learn that Buckwheat reminds you of your father…if you said he played accordion too, I’d really be laughing. The red Tobasco bass is really cool. Though it’s not featured in this song, I really enjoy when they play the washboard, which adds an interesting percussive sound. Ryhen, thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a great week, as well!

Hi Nadia: I’m glad you liked the song. Buckwheat is definitely a talented, entertaining musician. I wish there were more videos posted of him, because there are so many great songs in his repertoire. Have a great week!

6 vikum February 15, 2010 at 10:54 am

Listened to him for the first time. His style is really joyful. I wanna go inside the video and dance with the crowd 🙂
Thanks a lot for sharing !

7 Tim February 16, 2010 at 8:30 am

Hi Vikum: Ha ha…I know what you mean about wanting to be in the video and dancing. It looks like a good time. I’m glad you stopped by to enjoy.

8 Mr. Stupid February 17, 2010 at 8:42 am

Loved it, Tim. I have been an alien though. I have never heard this song. Where was I? At Mars…:)
Great post. It was awesome. Smiles….:)
.-= Mr. Stupid´s last post…A Band Saw manual =-.