Weekend Video Diversion: Boxes

March 13, 2010

Perhaps one of the most overused phrases in our world is “thinking out of the box” or “out of the box thinking.”  There’s no doubt that every company wants to hire an employee who thinks “out of the box.” I really love how this video responds to that ever-so-elusive character trait…

Have a great weekend!

1 Megan "JoyGirl!" Bord March 13, 2010 at 5:27 am

Well THAT was interesting!

For what it’s worth (2 cents, maybe?!), I’ve never liked that overused phrase. I mean, people use it so much that it’s lost all relevance, I think. It’s like when every company – as their descriptor of who they are and what value they can provide clients – says “We’re different.” Well, if everyone’s different, no one’s different. Just once I’d love a company to say, “We’re pretty much the same as all of our competitors, only our people are…well, our people and not theirs, so our people make us a little different, but they tend to do things like our competitor’s people, so really the choice is up to you. We have a nice logo, though!”

Have a great weekend, Tim!

2 Lori March 13, 2010 at 11:56 am

Fun video, Tim!
I actually quite liked the squeaky noises the flower/shape made — and the ditty tune that played along.

This is a great start to my day — thanks, Tim. And, I agree with your thoughts about the phrase, it’s absolutely overused and boring, too. When anyone uses the phrase, all I can visualize is a boring brown box with all my ideas inside of it!
🙂

3 Tim March 13, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Hi Megan: Ha ha…I agree with you completely about that phrase losing its relevance. I think it’s odd that a lot of companies (and people, for that matter) like to think of themselves as “out of the box” when they, oftentimes, make really conservative decisions. I enjoy your humorous take on that phrase and it really feels spot on. Have a great weekend!

Hi Lori: I agree with you about all of the cool squeaks and colors. I really dig the message that the video conveys and really think that it’s time we created our own box rather than compare it to others’. The phrase reminds me: have you ever played buzzword bingo? In any case, have a great weekend!

4 Lance March 13, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I like to play inside the box. The real boxes. Get inside of them. Of course, I need a pretty big box. Hmmm…maybe it’s time for a new refrigerator (and…with that…a new BIG box!!). Wait!! This is quickly getting expensive, being at your site today, Tim! We don’t even NEED a new refrigerator!!! Maybe I should stick to shoeboxes…we have lots of them. And those I do all my thinking outside the box…because it’s too small to get into….

And…on a more *ahem* serious note: the video was fun to watch (that doesn’t sound so serious though….)

Have a GREAT weekend!
.-= Lance´s last post…Reflecting On It All =-.

5 Tim March 14, 2010 at 10:48 am

Hi Lance: Ha ha…getting inside of a big box sound fun and interesting…I bet, like me, you also enjoy popping the bubble wrap that’s inside the box! You’ve reminded me that inside of a box can be fun and interesting, too! Whether you spend time inside or outside of the box, I wish you a great weekend too!

6 Ryhen | Mind Power March 14, 2010 at 11:57 am

Howdy Tim,

Nice video, Tim. I don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but I think the reason why most companies are looking for people who can think out of the box is that in reality, all of us are boxed in. Think about it… once a child is born, that child undergoes a series of stages – parental conditioning, gradeschool, highschool, and college/university. After that, the finished product is ready for employment. How on Earth can you expect the society to produce highly creative individuals with that sort of process? lol.

Anyway, I got your message and thank you for the entertaining post. Hope you enjoy the rest of the day. =)

Ryhen
.-= Ryhen | Mind Power´s last post…Psionic Power: Knowledge Of The Past And Future =-.

7 Tim March 15, 2010 at 8:50 am

Hi Ryhen: You are right about that conditioning we all receive at a young age. If I’m not mistaken, Ken Robinson’s book “The Element” (and TED talk) explores that topic. Perhaps that will change as the world of work changes. In any case thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic.