Happy St. Pat’s Day Chicago-Style

March 17, 2010

Every year, on the Saturday of Chicago’s downtown St. Patrick’s Day parade, the city dyes the river green. I haven’t been downtown for the parade in years, but I’ve always enjoyed seeing the river turn green (usually the river is still very green on the Monday after). Thanks to photographer Anthony J. Stewart, here’s a time-lapse video of the occurrence. I wish you a lucky day today…

1 Lori (JaneBeNimble) March 17, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Happy March 17th! I’m so far from being Irish, I can barely spell St. Patricks’s day. ha ha ha

Wow, they really color the river? That’s amazing. I hope it’s non-toxic dye. 😉

Have fun!
😛

2 Tim March 17, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Hi Lori: Well, you know what they say…we’re all Irish on St. Patrick’s Day. I was thinking the same thing about the dye..but then I remembered that there have been far worse things in the Chicago River. When it rains really heavy in Chicago and our “deep tunnel” sewers get full, you can often see sewage floating down the river. It’s not a pretty sight. By the way, that’s the Michigan Ave. bridge and one of my favorite places in the city. The photo’s were taken from one of my favorite buildings, The Wrigley Building. Lori, Happy St. Pat’s day!

3 Ryhen Satch March 18, 2010 at 11:04 am

Howdy Tim,

I like the background music on that video… smooth jazz… oh yeah! Do you know who wrote that song?

I have no clue why they turn the river green, but I sure hope that’s not radioactive waste they’re putting on there.

Cheers,
Ryhen
.-= Ryhen Satch´s last post…Cyber Power: How To Re-Create Yourself =-.

4 Tim March 19, 2010 at 8:22 am

Hi Ryhen: I’m not sure about the music on the video, but it does add some nice tones. My guess is that the photographer chose music that isn’t copyrighted, but I could be wrong. I also heard somewhere that when they add dye to the river it goes in orange but ends up turning green. In any case, it is an interesting tradition that has been around as far back as I can remember. Thanks for stopping by.

5 Nadia - Happy Lotus March 23, 2010 at 9:27 am

I know exactly where that location is…and that sure brings back memories. Thank you for the walk down memory lane.

Btw, ever notice how that water always looks sort of green year round?

Happy Belated Belated St. Patrick’s Day!

6 Tim March 23, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Hi Nadia: Yep, that’s a great area of Chicago’s downtown and I’m happy to say I used to work right around where the video was shot. I know what you mean about the water…it has kind of a murky green color to it. It’s not a very appealing color. I’m glad I could stir up some memories (hopefully good ones) for you. Thanks for the St. Pat’s wishes!

7 Ana Goncalves March 23, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Looks like a very unique way to spend St Paddy’s day!
I wonder what they use in the water, and whether it’s ecologically friendly!
Best Wishes.
.-= Ana Goncalves´s last post…Inner Guide =-.