Weekend Musical Diversion: Jimi Hendrix

April 4, 2010

According to a receipt that I recently found, it was this day in 1986 that I purchased my first guitar.  I was in high school and after a great deal of drooling, er dreaming, I decided to purchase my first guitar – a Kramer, an electric guitar which was the same brand Eddie Van Halen played in the early 1980’s.  My life has never been the same since.  You see, I have always been musically obsessed (and slightly challenged).

Truth be told, I’ve never been a great guitar player.  But noodling on my guitar and jamming with friends has been something I will always remember and it will always be one of my favorite creative outlets.  I also remember many solo recording sessions where I’m sure I drove the neighbors crazy.  Today, I still play my cheap acoustic guitar (purchased a few years later), thankful (and proud) that I’m a much better guitar player than a Guitar Hero® player.

In honor of this significant day for me, I give you a newly released Jimi Hendrix song Valleys of Neptune off the recently released album of the same name.  To me, Hendrix was pure genius and poetry and light.  I hope you enjoy…

1 Megan "JoyGirl!" Bord April 4, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I think it’s awesome that you play guitar – however well or poorly you may think! I’ve always admired musicians for their ability to translate emotions into poetic sound. Sometimes I think I strike upon something creative in my writing, but never to the extent that I find musicians and visual artists do.

Everyone can “write.” But so few can play beautiful music that others can enjoy.

Play on!

2 Nadia - Happy Lotus April 5, 2010 at 11:32 am

That is so cool how you found that receipt for the guitar. What a nice memory!

I am with you on loving the guitar. There is something about it that is very powerful and creative. I don’t know much about Hendrix but I know that many people adore him.

What is it about him that you are admire so much? Just curious. 🙂

3 Tim April 5, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Hi Megan: Thank you for your comment…I would not sell yourself short when it comes to your writing…from what I’ve read so far, its very good! I do agree that music and good musicians can really bring about a great deal of enjoyment and even a sense of community. Like you, I enjoy those musicians who can express themselves emotionally and creatively. It is fortunate that musicians get that immediate feedback from the audience, but I think the emotional “high” that one gets from writing or performing music and writing is very similar. Anyhow, that’s just my $.02. Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Nadia: It’s good to learn that you’re a guitar lover, as well. I’m glad you asked me about Jimi Hendrix because I think that’s a deep question worthy of a post. So thank you for the idea. In any case my short answer is this: When I was a very young music fan, I thought Hendrix was this wild freak with crazy hair and lots of feedback. I didn’t really care for him. But as my tastes changed and I heard more of his music, I started to really admire him. First off, I think Hendrix was a warm, gentle soul. I find that his lyrics very colorful and poetic…sort of mystical and psychedelic (and perhaps a little spiritual?). I think his guitar style and sound was revolutionary (considering his first album came out in 1967) and original. And to think…in his lifetime, only three albums’ worth of original music was released. My personal favorite is Axis: Bold as Love, which to me, is pure genius. I don’t know if I answered your question well, but I will say Hendrix, at least for me, was an acquired taste. Thanks for stopping by!

4 Ryhen Satch April 7, 2010 at 10:46 am

Oh, something we have in common. I got my first electric guitar back in 1995… several years after you got yours. Ok, I won’t highlight the age difference. I know that’s rude. lol. Just kidding.

I like Jimi Hendrix to some extent, but I’ve never really been a fan. I’m more into the technical guys like Vai, Satriani, Petrucci, Malmsteen, etc. At that time, while I was admiring their awesome talent, I learned that these guys practiced like there’s no tomorrow when they were young . Of course, because of my naivete, I tried to imitate by spending 5-7hrs a day on the damn thing. I was able to have the skill alright, but fate, it seems, is not without a sense of deceit. I genuinely thought I will be able to use it for the good of mankind, but it turns out that it only allowed me to post for a pic that I will eventually use for my gravatar. Magnificent.

Great post Tim!
.-= Ryhen Satch´s last post…Clairvoyance: Clear Vision Of Subtle, Hidden, & Remote Things =-.

5 Tim April 7, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Hi Ryhen: As an old-timer 😉 my most influential musical influences came in the late 80’s and I grew up listening to classic rock, hair metal and guitar shredders. I still remembering seeing Satriani play at a small club right near Wrigley Field before anyone really knew who he was (still one of my favorite concerts, btw). But I do appreciate all the technical guitar players you named…I especially like Satriani and Vai and the less technical George Lynch. As a youngster growing up, I played more melodic, bluesy stuff. I still have a lot of guitar mags with the guitar tab…but I never had the patience to learn guitar solos, especially from Vai, Satch and Malmsteen. Later on, when I took lessons on my acoustic I grew to appreciate guitar players like James Taylor, whose music is amazing, IMHO. I’m willing to bet you were a pretty good guitar player, but if your heart isn’t into it, it’s not worth it. In any case, I think your Gravitar is awesome and I thank you for stopping by!

6 Lori April 7, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Sorry, I’m so late to this party!

I’m here to wish you all the warm fuzzies in the world. I love the timbre and feelings acoustic guitar brings. Although, my first guitar was electric, too. I’m partial to the 12-string — it gets deep down into my bones.

It’s great to read about your love, Tim, it shows through your writing.

Two thumbs up for Hendrix, too.
Love, Frets, and Guitar Strings,
~Lori

7 Tim April 8, 2010 at 7:55 am

Lori: Thank you for the warm fuzzies 🙂 Ah, yes…the 12 string acoustic guitar- it has such an amazing warm sound. Lori, do you still play your 12 string? The acoustic guitar is an amazing instrument. As I mentioned earlier, I wish I could play better, but I do enjoy noodling on the guitar (however imperfect it may be). It can really be therapeutic sometimes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing the guitar love and appreciation!