Class of 2010 Commencement Rap Song

May 7, 2010

Those of you that have followed this blog since the early days know that I really enjoy commencement addresses.  I love that these addresses have the ability to inspire, motivate and provide wisdom to graduates as they embark on new paths in life.  In the past, I’ve featured some great addresses from speakers including Randy Pausch, Oprah and J.K. Rowling.

I recently stumbled upon this video that includes some great words of wisdom.  Call it a commencement address for a new generation or for those with a short attention span.  Whatever the case, I think you’ll enjoy…

Thanks to @TaylorMali for tweeting this video.

1 Lori (JaneBeNimble) May 7, 2010 at 3:32 pm

You know, I was wondering if this had anything to do with Taylor Mali — I recognized the graphical word play, and it reminded me of another video based on his poetry.

I really enjoyed this video. Thumbs up to you, Tim, for recognizing the next generation. I can’t imagine what I’d have done if I was growing up in this age of uber-social media. I might have self-combusted. 😉

Thanks for this, it flowed with awesomeness.

Enjoy your weekend, Tim!

2 Tim May 7, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Hi Lori: I had a feeling that you’d like that video and thanks to a Tweet by Mr. Mali…I was made aware of the video. As I mentioned before…I really do enjoy commencement addresses…partly because it brings back good memories and partly because of the great message. But this vid really boiled down the elements of a really good commencement address in 3 minutes and a catchy rap (and catchy images). I agree with you about coming of age in these days of social media…it’s only a matter of time before we humans evolve with two additional fingers for even faster texting 😉 In any case, thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts about this one.

3 Lance May 8, 2010 at 6:08 am

What a great message wrapped up in this bit of rap!! And what I think is really good about this – is that there’s a message to reach the right people. The kids coming out of college now are much more connected than when I was in school (am I dating myself???). This song speaks to the times we live in, and with a message with that – that really is all about doing what we love. And that itself is a great message always…

4 Tim May 8, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Hi Lance: You are so right about the video speaking to the times that we live in…and I’d agree that recent grads are really more connected. Though I bet our attention span is a little longer 😉 Thanks for stopping by and sharing and have a great weekend!

5 Tom Volkar / Delightful Work May 10, 2010 at 7:21 am

Powerful share Tim! There is one line of wisdom in there that I rank as the best. Forget about finding an already created job. Create your own based on who you are. Yes!
That’s the essence of my work to guide others in creating the business of their dreams. We all have what it takes to do so; we just need to get out of our own way.
.-= Tom Volkar / Delightful Work´s last post…Jumping To Conclusions – In Love and Work =-.

6 Tim May 11, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Hi Tom: Thank you for sharing your insight…I think a lot of us, myself included, are starting to learn the hard way that a lot of jobs are not coming back and that we need to be working on creating new jobs. I know for certain that we need to starting thinking differently about jobs and work because the old model is, well, old. Thank you, Tom, for helping us think about work in new ways. Who knows, I may be contacting you soon.