Another Napkin and a Few Links

August 20, 2010

The dog days of summer are upon us and I’ve got myself an old-fashioned summer cold. In other words, I’ve been laying a bit low lately, but I continue to stumble upon interesting blogs and blog posts here are a few that stand out from the past few weeks…

• As summer begins to wind down, Christine Kane shares an important post, 22 Ways to Squeeze the Last Drop of Summer Before it Ends, about how to make the most of the rest of the summer.  If you’re like me and you can’t believe the summer is almost over, you need to check this out.
  • At a time when customer service seems to be on the decline, it’s great to stumble upon a blog that recognizes good customer service experiences. Jodi Henderson’s A Pat on the Back is a source for some positive stories about customer service.
  • Call it a guilty pleasure, but I’ve enjoyed Allstate’s “Mayhem” commercials.  These commercials feature a perfectly-cast Dean Winters unleashing mayhem upon drivers everywhere.  Television viewers may remember Winters as the manipulative Ryan O’Reily in HBO’s Oz, and numerous appearances in Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, Rescue Me and 30 Rock.  See the mayhem here.
  • Have you ever wondered how your state legislators voted?  Do you want to know the status on a bill?  Do you ever wonder how often your state senator votes with his/her party?  If so, check out Opencongress.org.  It is a valuable tool that will keep you informed on a daily basis and most importantly at election time.
  • Do you enjoy jazz and kick yourself because you can’t make it to your town’s local jazz festival or that your town doesn’t have a jazz festival?  Well, your in luck…NPR has you covered.  Once again this year, NPR provided coverage at this prestigious music festival.  Click NPR’s Jazz at Neport page and you’ll find live recordings and podcasts from Ken Vandermark, the Maria Schneider Orchestra and numerous others.  This is your chance to load your iPod with live jazz.

How about you…how have you spent your summer vacation?  Do you have a favorite summertime book?

1 Lori August 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm

The napkin is priceless (yes, life is too short for grudges — I like that one).

I hope you’re feeling better soon, take good care, K?

I read more and more references to summer slowly winding down and this breaks my heart. I LOVE summer, but also understand it’s just part of the natural cycle of things. That said, I’m looking forward to visiting Ms. Kane’s post about getting the most of the remainder of the lemon-kissed days. Thanks for that.

I appreciate the opencongress link, too. I like to keep my eye on what my elected officials are doing with their power (and votes). And, you hit the nail on the head with the NPR link. I enjoy live jazz and don’t get to hear it much these days. Good one!

Thanks a lot, Tim, I appreciate the recommendations. Thanks for doing the work for me. 😉
Take care.

2 Tim August 20, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Hi Lori: Luckily, I didn’t need to use the napkin to blow my nose 😉 …but seriously, thanks for stopping by and contributing. I realize this post is not up there among my best…but I tried to provide some interesting stuff, nonetheless. Especially important is the OpenCongress site, which I found useful as I checked during the Unemployment extension debate. As voters, I think its really important we see how our representatives are voting on our behalf. Have yourself a great weekend!

3 Lance August 20, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Hey Tim,
Hope you are feeling better quickly. No fun, especially during summer.

I love the napkin, too! I really like the “crabby people” one!

And I too really enjoyed Christine Kane’s piece, too.

Me? I’m savoring the summertime, just taking it a bit easier…not rushing around so much (and that feels really good!!). I was out biking a couple of times this week – beautiful days we had at the start of this week (well…except for those pesky mosquitoes…)

4 Tim August 22, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Hi Lance: Thanks for the health wishes, I’m slowly feeling better. Good to hear you’re savoring the summer and that you’re getting out there on your bike. For me, nothing feels like summer more than bike riding. It is my number one way to clear my head and get an endorphins boost. I can fully identify with you on all the mosquitoes, they’re pretty bad here, too. I was at a friend’s party last week and when I was leaving…he literally told me to run to my car to avoid the mosquitoes. Crazy, huh?

5 Nadia Ballas-Ruta August 30, 2010 at 11:47 am

Hey Tim,

I know I am late to this post and I hope you are feeling better. I love that napkin. Did you write that yourself or is that an image from somewhere else?

As for summer coming to an end, I am surprised that time has gone by so fast. This was a busy summer for me. We moved down to FL and I started my own business. As for a book recommendation, I have been reading Twyla Tharp’s “The Creative Habit” and I adore it. It is a fabulous book.

6 Tim August 30, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Hi Nadia: Thanks for the good health wishes…finally, I feel like I’m getting my energy back. That napkin is from Carabou Cofffee. I took my coffee order to go and found the napkins a couple days later in my car. It was then that I realized how cool the napkins were and thought I would share. Thankfully I hadn’t wiped my face on them 😉 I am happy that you’re settled in to your new home and that you started your own business. I am really looking forward to reading your blog again. BTW, thank you for your book recommendation!